Featured Designer: Ginger’s Breadboys™
We are happy to showcase Virginia Bramante as this season’s Featured Artist! Virginia’s admiration for gingerbread cookies began over 30 years ago. Her persistence to craft a great cookie and share it with others encouraged her to launch her own brand of gingerbread cookie kits, Ginger’s Breadboys™, in December 2017.
1. Can you give a brief description of what your business is all about, in general? Ginger’s Breadboys™ is a small business that produces a complete gingerbread cookie kit for baking and decorating 3+ dozen gingerbread cookies from scratch. We also provide branded flour sack towels to accompany the kit and to be used in the kitchen. We describe the kit as a great family activity to be enjoyed with children and grandchildren.
Perfect for that unique holiday gift for teachers, parents or grandparents. Great for corporate gifts too. We think it is the ultimate gingerbread cookie kit.
- cookie mix
- 5” gingerbread boy cookie cutter
- Ferrara Candy Company Cinnamon Imperials
- 2 12” pastry bags with 2 couplers (base and ring)
- 4 decorating tube tips
- #14 standard (smile, mittens and boots)
- #42 double-line (suspenders)
- #48 basket weave (belt)
- #30 closed 8-pointed star (suspender buttons)
- Chefmaster Liqua-gel® Food Coloring Leaf Green
- pastry brush
- 4 sheets parchment paper
- recipe and instruction card
- refrigerator magnet
2. What is the story behind how your business came to be? A gingerbread boy cookie was the first thing I thought of as a Christmas stocking stuffer for friends and fellow riders at the barn in Virginia where I rode after moving from NC to Washington, DC. Considering the obstacles in that first year, it is – in retrospect – rather amazing that these cookies got made at all.
- I had no cookie cutter which meant cutting out each cookie by hand – guided by the memory of those cookies from Moore’s Bakery.
- Recipes were challenging. Have you seen The Joy of Cooking’s recipe for gingerbread men?
- And I had no clue about royal icing. I used store-bought tube buttercream frosting. Buttercream doesn’t harden.
3. Where does your inspiration come from for your
work? 30+ years of making the cookie for family and friends and the nostalgia of posters from the Belle Epoque and products from that era.
4. What is your favorite part about your business? Hearing from people about how much they love the kit!
5. What is your favorite product that you make or sell for your business? Both the kit and the flour sack towels.
6. Do you have any future plans for your business? Ginger’s Breadboys™ will be making a ‘Make Another Batch’ kit for 2019 that includes the items that were used in making the kit the first time. We will package in a smaller tin with a similar look.
7. What advice would you give to someone who is aspiring to get into this type of business? Be prepared to do a lot of research on your product, make lists, thank everyone who helps you and remember, you can’t do it all – you only need to do the very next thing and it will all be fine.
If you want to get in the holiday spirit, head over to Ginger’s Breadboys™ for the ultimate gingerbread cookie experience! Give as a gift or keep all to yourself!
You Might Also Enjoy
- Featured Designer: Miss Mavis Fun House
- Featured Designer: Sabine Michael Ovesen
- Featured Designer: Andrea Garvey Art
- Featured Designer: Little White Church Antiques
- Featured Designer: Orchard Street Press