Valentine’s Day Crafts for Preschoolers
Winter is a tough season for parents of preschoolers. Cold weather means there’s limited time to play outside and burn off your toddler’s energy. Snow means disruptions to their school schedule and structure — goodbye, nap time. And sugary wintertime treats such as hot cocoa and cookies mean your tot might be bouncing off the walls.
If you need a way to entertain your kiddos for the afternoon on a snow day, consider a craft project that will allow them to get messy while creating a treasured gift for a loved one this Valentine’s Day. Creates unique heart shapes to personalize blank canvas totes or kitchen towels!
Sweet Feet Stamp Project
- Painter’s tape
- Shallow dish
- Fabric paint
- Foam brushes
- Baby wipes
- Fabric markers
- Letter stencils
- Scrap fabric
1. Iron your canvas tote bag or flour sack towel, so you have a smooth surface to work with.
2. Place a piece of cardboard in the canvas bag or under the towel, so the fabric paint doesn’t bleed through.
3. Use painters tape to mark off your workspace on the fabric.
4. Fill a shallow pan with red paint and have your child step into the paint or press their hands into the paint.
5. If using footprints, have your child sit on their bottom and arrange their feet, so their heels touch and toes turn outward making a heart shape before placing their feet on the fabric surface.
6. Press the edges of their feet down to make sure the paint makes contact with the fabric in all areas. Then slowly peel their feet away from the tote or towel.
7. If using handprints, have your child press one hand at a time on the fabric, carefully pressing their hand down to ensure full contact. The second handprint should overlap the first to make a heart shape.
8. Use baby wipes to clean the paint off your child’s feet or hands before proceeding.
9. Use stencils, foam brushes, fabric paint and fabric markers to help your child personalize the fabric and write a sweet message.
10. Allow the paint to dry overnight and remove the painters tape.
11. Place a piece of scrap fabric over the painted area on your tote or towel and heat set the paint using your iron on a low setting. This will make the artwork both washable and colorfast.
12. Gift your one-of-a-kind work of art!