DIY Face Masks
MAKE YOUR OWN FACE MASK WITH FLOUR SACK KITCHEN TOWELS
100% cotton tea towels can be utilized as a quality fabric for constructing a homemade cloth face mask. While any cloth can help stop large droplets from getting in or out, avoid knit fabrics (e.g. jersey T-shirts) because the material stretches and creates holes. The best fabric for homemade masks is a tightly woven, 100% cotton fabric. According to a 2013 Cambridge study, dish towel material is 82 percent as effective as a surgical mask.
Where do I buy flour sack towels?
Our selection of flour sack tea towels are perfect for homemade masks! With no minimum quantity, you can choose from a variety of sizes. We recommend our Premium towels with a 130 thread count as the best material for mask making. It is a breathable 100% cotton flat weave. Our Premium 20” x 20” size (folded in half) can make one mask. For bulk discount towels, add at least 12 or 50+ to your cart for an average savings of 30-60%!
It is recommended to pre-wash in hot water and high heat dry to allow shrinkage before constructing so the mask will keep its shape through multiple uses and washes.
Cloth face coverings should—
- fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- be secured with ties or ear loops
- include multiple layers of fabric
- allow for breathing without restriction
- be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
CDC recommended DIY homemade cloth mask (with no-sew options)
Alcohol-Based Gel Hand Sanitizer – Made in USAAs low as $123.64 – $5,971.43 Select options
Alcohol-Based Liquid Hand Sanitizer – Made in USAAs low as $119.68 – $5,293.00 Select options
Alcohol-Free Foam Hand Sanitizer – Made in USAAs low as $144.57 – $182.50 Select options
Crafts Basics Premium Flour Sack Towel – 20″ x 20″As low as $1.09 Add to cart
Crafts Basics Premium Flour Sack Towel – 22″ x 36″As low as $1.53 Add to cart
Crafts Basics Premium Flour Sack Towel – 28″ x 29″As low as $1.49 Add to cart
Crafts Basics Premium Flour Sack Towel – 29″ x 36″As low as $1.68 Add to cart
Crafts Basics Premium Natural Flour Sack Towel – 20″ x 20″As low as $1.09 Add to cart
- “Uses and Considerations for Different Face Coverings”: Learn the differences between types of face coverings and how they should be used.
- “How to Use a Face Covering”: It’s important to understand how to properly wear, remove, and clean homemade cloth face covering in order to help keep yourself and others safe.
- “Homemade Cloth Face Covering FAQs, Assembly Guide, and Patterns”: If you would like to make a homemade cloth face covering, this PDF provides answers to commonly asked questions and patterns for making cloth face coverings in different sizes. Please do not sew a pipe cleaner or aluminum strip into the face covering as it causes safety concerns and damages other coverings when laundering.